Press-Over Mylar Appliqué Method
- Trace appliqué shapes onto Mylar.
- Mark overlapping areas with dashed lines. Add approximately 1/8” seam allowance onto dashed lines only.
- Mark number or letter and “top” to indicate the right side.
- Cut out Mylar shape on traced line.
- Place Mylar Template right side up onto the right side of fabric.
- With a chalk pencil, draw around Mylar template adding 3/16” press-over allowance.
- Cut out fabric shape on the drawn line.
- Place fabric shapes wrong side up onto a paper towel.
- Spray with starch until completely soaked.
- Blot excess moisture with another paper towel.
- Place the Mylar templates, wrong side up, onto the wrong side of fabric shapes.
- Use the point of the iron to start folding and pressing the seam allowance over the Mylar.
- Always push the iron toward the fold-over allowance.